History of the Building
The main building in Lerchenfeld was built in 1913 by Fritz Schumacher for the then existing Kunstgewerbeschule (art school) and is a protected building, a listed monument.
In past years, extensive restructuring and conversion measures have taken place in the course of structural reform. For instance, the studio spaces on three axes have been largely restored to their original historical state, with the partitions which have taken place over the course of decades being removed, just as departments which relate to one another in content have been concentrated together spatially.
Recently, all analogue black and white and colour laboratories have been converted for the newly organised photography, typography and graphics department. Additionally, a combined seminar and studio room and a daylight room have been added. New to the teaching and workshop options are a digital colour laboratory and a graphic studio.
In the course of renovating and restructuring Lerchenfeld, the HFBK’s facilities have been temporarily divided between three sites. Aside from the main building, these are: areas in Wartenau and the former Frauenklinik in Finkenau.